An eggless chocolate cake recipe for a quick dessert fix
Cake cravings come unannounced; be it during a zoom meeting, when the clock says chai time or at midnight. Soothe your sweet tooth with this effortless recipe
Chef Natasha Celmi, who shared this recipe of a moist, eggless, one-pot chocolate cake, says it is great for impulse baking. It needs basic ingredients like flour, sugar, cocoa and baking powder. There’s no need for butter, and olive oil will be enough. It contains almost half a litre of milk which gives it the soft texture. Vegans can substitute it with almond or soy milk. While it’s a perfect tea time cake, Celmi says one can jazz it up by serving it with vanilla ice-cream, or whipped cream and fresh fruits. To take it up a few notches, place two slices like a sandwich and layer with Nutella, fruit coulis or chocolate ganache.
200 g flour
200 g sugar
60 g cocoa powder
16 g (4 tsp) baking powder
450 ml milk
35 ml vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
Some flour for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C. Grease and line your cake tin with butter paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place all the dry ingredients.
3. In another bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.
4. Combine both wet and dry ingredients. Do not over mix the batter.
5. Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 mins or until the top of the cake is firm and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool.
7. Finish with your choice of frosting or garnish. You can just dust some icing sugar for a simple yet elegant look.